Saturday 24 March 2007

I think i am a hack...


One of my happiness lies in finding good books and knowing something new.
I started the book “The Devil in the White City”, which gives me another excitement in my life.

Set in the World Fair in Chicago in 1893, the story is about two Americans who were destined to leave their names behind in American history for what they did for the Fair.
One is a respectable architect who directed architectural works in the Fair, and the other is a serial killer who allegedly murdered 27 people.

I didn’t know there was such a terrible psychopath back then, I didn’t know they already used the word “psychopath” at that time, and I didn’t know how much importance they put on the World Fair. Actually, they staked their country’s entire pride for the Fair to make their own Fair much more successful than previous the World Fair at Paris.
What is really amazing to me about the book is the author’s well-researched description of struggle among architects and city-planners, who were assigned to set up the Fair. With the time limited, man-power in short supply, and bureaucratic rivalry standing in the way, they were hell-bent with exceeding Eiffel Tower for their own country’s name!



The words I learned recently.

REFULGENT

shining brightly; radiant; gleaming: Crystal chandeliers and gildedwalls made the opera house a refulgent setting for the ball.

OBSTREPEROUS

noisy, clamorous, or boisterous: obstreperous children.

SOMNOLENT

sleepy; drowsy

COROLLARY

Mathematics. a proposition that is incidentally proved in proving
another proposition.
a natural consequence or result.

No comments: